Legends of Elveron
Forums for Legends of Elveron

Home Guide Forum Archive
FAQ SearchRegisterLogin

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: OOP Guide?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 23:34 

Umm, yeah, I had some free time on my hands. Tell me what ya'll think I should change, plz.

Protection is the buzzword given to the first 60 hours of any given Legends round. During this period, nobody can spy on, steal from, cast spells on, or invade any other kingdom. This is done to give players a chance to build up their militaries so everyone can come out swingin’.

Out of protection (Commonly known as OOP) is the first 2 days after protection. Hence the name out of protection, I suppose. >_> It is pretty much the second most important few days in any given round because of the massive amounts of land that can be gained in such a short time. While most people can only afford to hit once or twice a day deeper in to the round, during the first couple days OOP people can make well over 15 attacks. (!)

This guide will (hopefully) help you out in learning some basic strategies for OOP, and allow you to do fun things like doubling your size in a day. :D

Disclaimer: This is not the best strat you will find for OOP. This will be a basic, cookie cutter strat that needs to be slightly modified depending on race. However, if come close to following this strat, you should have quite a decent OOP.

Note: Do NOT train troops til as late as possible. This is a key mistake that hurts many new players. Don’t let it happen to you.

The first thing that should be done for almost every race is cast fertility for 12 hours before the round starts. This is because OOP is all about who can make the most money, and having fertility on will quickly increase your cash inflow which will allow you to make all the more troops at OOP. After this, build 20-30 towers to make sure you can keep fertility (and any other desirable spells) up throughout OOP. Remember, keep fertility up until your population is maxed out. You can monitor this in your production manager. This will get you the most gold, and therefore, the most troops.

Next, look at your troops to see which resources you’ll need. During OOP, it’s ok to ignore the stronger troops (elites) and just focus on the weaker ones (specs) because specs are cheaper, and therefore better for OOP. Keep in mind, however, that it is much better to change to elites after OOP.

Anyways, see which resources you need for your specs. If you need lumber, make sure you have lumber yards. If you need ore, make sure you have some ore mines. If your units need magic dust, make a few more towers.

Once you have your basic needs down, it’s best to look in to your gold income. This is done by making gold mines and or homes. While homes are better to use during the round, gold mines give you a quick boost early. Building 100+ is advisable for most races. If your race doesn’t have gold mines, just use homes, they’re a reasonable substitute.

The next day or so should be devoted to making sure all your buildings get set up. At this point both homes and gold mines are acceptable, though I lean towards homes at this point. Of course, if your race only has gold mines, that’s the way to go.

Remember; never let fertility go down until your population is completely maxed. Casting slow/any one time spells your race might have around this time is a good idea, seeing as how they will store until OOP, and it’ll save your magic dust from rotting.

When there is about 24-36 hours left in protection (or when your population maxes out, whichever comes first) you should start training workers. Figure out about how many specs you’ll be able to train by OOP, and start training workers til you have at least that amount. This number can be very high or low, depending on race, Windows calculator with your production manager makes figuring out how many you need easy, however.

The final step before OOP is the military build. Depending on how long your specs take to train, you should start making them either 9 or 12 hours before OOP. This will give you the biggest income for the longest amount of time. Train enough defensive specs to give yourself 1500-2000 defense, and use the rest of your money to make offensive specs. Make sure not to take your land bonus on this last day before OOP til after you’ve made your attacks, otherwise you’ll get a lot less when you do make your attacks.

It’s best to be around for at least 15 minutes or so before OOP to check out potential targets. Potential targets for OOP are mostly people with land defense who didn’t train anything for OOP. These people are easily identified because they have networths under 7k or so. (It’s best to double check; however, sometimes they’ve trained just enough defense to force you to fail the attack) These people are usually the best targets for OOP because they are easy to find, easy to attack, and give great returns. An important factor that needs to be remembered is land defense. Land defense is how many acres somebody has X 2 + modifiers (improvements, buildings, spells). That means that even if somebody has no troops, they still have defense.

Once OOP rolls around, move as quickly as possible and try to hit as many land defense targets at 336 acres as you can, casting slow between each attack. How safe you want to be when doing this is up to you. You can check military and buildings of targets to be safe, but this may give your competition a chance to snatch up your targets before you do. However, checking all your targets thoroughly makes sure you don’t mess up any attacks.

After making all of your attacks, there are a few things to attend to. Firstly, make sure to train enough defense so you’ll have 4000 in 12 hours. You can afford to have a bit less than 4000 if you remembered to slow all your initial attacks. (you may want to start using elites only at this point) Use any extra gold to train offense. This is usually a good time to take this days’ land bonus.

12 hours after OOP (10, if your troops return in 10 hours) you should make your second wave of attacks. There are two methods you can take at this point. If you have lots of spy power and feel lucky, you can look for big targets with land defense. These are tough to find, but very rewarding if you manage to find them. The easier way is to just go after a bunch of tiny targets with land defense, and get a bunch more land from there. At this time, you should train enough defense so as to have about 6000 is 12 hours.

15 hours after OOP is the point at which your initial buildings should come in if you remembered to slow your attacks. After you build some farms and towers, you can either think long range or short term. If you want to build up, make diamond mines along with your resource buildings and homes. If you want to keep attacking, skimp on the diamond mines and go for more gold income buildings. It’s really up to you.

Now, I know this guide isn’t perfect, and I’m not pretending it is. There’s prolly not a race in the game that can follow it exactly, in fact. >_> However, if the basic concepts are followed and reproduced, anyone can easily have a very respectable OOP.

Last edited by Acerac on Sun Apr 10, 2005 23:15, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 23:38 

nicely done. i can see theres some things in there that i should learn from myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 00:30 

I think you need to be a little more clear on some of the points. I remember that it took me two rounds to realise that you don't actually start at max cap. population. Telling a newbie to cast fertility isn't going to make much sense without extra explaining.

I don't think it would hurt new players to read this, still, there is no substitute for getting a few rounds under your belt. The reason I keep playing is because I keep understanding more and more how the game works. Tell a person all that and they don't get to find out themselves.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm one of those people who play a game straight after purchase and then read the manual.

Just my two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 00:34 

The first thing that should be done for almost every race is cast fertility for 12 hours before the round starts. This is because OOP is all about who can make the most money, and having fertility on will quickly increase your cash inflow which will allow you to make all the more troops at OOP. After this, build 20-30 towers to make sure you can keep fertility (and any other desirable spells) up throughout OOP. Remember, keep fertility up until your population is maxed out. You can monitor this in your production manager. This will get you the most gold, and therefore, the most troops.

This seems clear enough, and had all the info you said it should.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 01:53 

Nice work Ace. Get with me and we will hammer out a more structured guide that is easier for new players to read and I can post on LC (with your permission of course :)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 02:39 

nice work really :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 02:57 

Nice work Ace. I have a few suggestions, but I'll send em on aim later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:49 

good work Ace.i already posted the link on the realm council for all the new players to read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 23:48 

bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 19:52 

The final step before OOP is the military build. Depending on how long your specs take to train, you should start making them either 9 or 12 hours before OOP. This will give you the biggest income for the longest amount of time. Train enough defensive specs to give yourself 1500-2000 defense, and use the rest of your money to make offensive specs. Make sure not to take your land bonus on this last day before OOP til after you’ve made your attacks, otherwise you’ll get a lot less when you do make your attacks.

i believe this isn't so true because a couple rounds ago the max % potential hit is 100%, anymore than that would grant you the same land. not sure if it is the same anymore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 19:53 

and also if you plan to explore DM and homes would still be better in the long run when you oop. i was semi pwning with only 40 gold mines oop. it wasn't until last week when i got killed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 08:30 

Hmm, I just noticed I never responded to Hersai. Sorry ^^

Umm, yeah, that'd be great, I'm all for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 23:43 

Umm, yeah, I'ma gunna sticky this for the next few days, I think it could use it, might help out the game 'n' such.

Oh, and I still want to get together to clean this up for your site, Hesrai.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 00:48 

For certain Ace. Been working on other things right now as well as my puter is still dead! :cry: Hope to get it fixed in a couple weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 08:12 

good job, once again, ace.